May 24, 2010

Trust....


"Shortly after I was called as a General Authority, I went to Elder Harold B. Lee for counsel. He listened very carefully to my problem and suggested that I see President David O. McKay. President McKay counseled me as to the direction I should go. I was very willing to be obedient but saw no way possible for me to do as he counseled me to do.

"I returned to Elder Lee and told him that I saw no way to move in the direction I was counseled to go. He said, 'The trouble with you is you want to see the end from the beginning.' I replied that I would like to see at least a step or two ahead. Then came the lesson of a lifetime: 'You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you'" ("The Edge of the Light," BYU Today, Mar. 1991, 22-23). (Audio)


Last Sunday, during Sunday school, this quote was read and I have not been able to forget about it. This experience from Elders Packer's life has made me look into my own life and evaluate my willingness to take a step (s) into the dark. As we have learned from Elder Bednar, there are not coincidences in life but Tender Mercies. I have been thinking more and more on how much I am willing to follow the promptings of the spirit without any reservations. I think that my problem is that I, more often than not, "I would like to see the end from the beginning" and I need to "learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then [and not until then] the light will appear and show the way before [me]." In Sunday school we were talking how the priests carrying the arch of the covenant had to get their feet wet before the see parted and I must do the same before I may be able to see the Lords light guiding me.


1 comment:

Lisabug said...

That's so excellent, Benji! I really love your thoughts here. They're so inspiring, and so true!
Tyler and I have certainly had to do the same in our lives, and right now especially.
The Lord directed us to this exact place in our lives and as hard as it is we know it is His will and we must trust it and allow it to guide us.
The light will come. It always does.