April 08, 2009

'And he said, Come...'

‘And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus
But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?’
Matthew 14:29:31

The Savior taught that hearts will be where our treasure is. Many times in life, we are personally invited by the savior to follow him and we trust him. Experience has proved, time after time, that He will be there for us and we can conquer any mountain that might be place before us but in many instances we find ourselves in the shoes of Peter of all: trusting but yet keeping that little of himself from the Savior.

There is no doubt that Peter loved the savior and trusted him. This loved is what carried him through so many hard trials during his life and it was this same love for the Savior that help him grow. The Lord, gently and lovingly, constantly invited him to follow him and trust him, even thought the storm may be raging around him. Peter trusted the Savior before stepping out of the ship but that assurance soon left him as soon as he ‘…saw the wind boisterous…’ in other words he took his sight away from the Him.

Many times in my life I feel like in Peter shoes after he had stepped off the ship. Each one of us have had experiences when we receive answers to our prayers regarding what direction to take and we start moving towards that direction but very soon I find myself walking on thorny paths and see the storm approaching and then I start doubting and focusing more on the storm around me and questioning if the path taken was the right one; it is at this time when we cry to the Lord asking for his help and it is then when we hear the gently, loving reprove from the Savior “…O thou [Ben] of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?”

Unfortunately, this process has repeated so many times in my life that I look back as see how the Savior has carried while walking over the waters and when I have done so I noticed that peace was all around me; just like Peter felt when the he was saved by the Christ when sinking. I can imagine Peter saying:

“Master, the terror is over.
The elements sweetly rest.
Earth’s sun in the calm lake is mirrored,
And heaven’s within my breast.
Linger, O blessed Redeemer!
Leave me alone no more,
And with joy I shall make the blest harbor
And rest on the blissful shore.”

No comments: