January 14, 2009

My Giant mom

There are giants on this earth that many times are not seen and many time they leave us without anyone noticing; this does not bother them the least bit because what they have taken with them from here is worth to them more than any gold or treasure. What they take with them is not noticed by those left behind until they have left.

The giant I am speaking of was just a little over 5 feet tall and held one of the most sacred titles anyone can hold and let me tell you! she lived up to that title! The name of this giant I am referring to is my mom. There are many memories of her that are always going to be with me. She is amazing! How was she able to do all the things she did? I have no idea! But I can tell you why she did them! She did them because she loved her Heavenly parents with all her heart and she wanted to walk by them. She feared her God more than men.

Some of my earliest memories of her are serving people. Whether it was a complete stranger or a dear friend, she was always willing to be the instrument in the Savior’s hand to be the answer to someone’s prayer. Many times she would go and do things without knowing why, only knowing that person needed it. She, like a Nephi of old, went and did! She, like Samuel, said “…Speak; for thy servant heareth” (1 Samuel 3:10) She always made time to serve.

Many of my memories growing up are of my mom feeding people. Many times people will come to our church meetings because they were directed there to renew their spirits and hoping the answer to their prayers will be there; many times we ended up having Sunday dinners with people we had met that day at church. She also was able to feed the hunger the food food could not feed; she never call herself a wise or anything special she only call herself a child of God. She was a listening ear to those that needed to speak and a voice of counsel to those that needed some direction. In either case, she always sought to be and do the will of her Father.

She was a magician! Many times we would have missionary over in our house for lunch (or dinner) and they would eat and ask for seconds and thirds and she would reach into the ‘magic pot’ and keep finding food and to give away. Many times she would run on empty for weeks at the time and always had fuel to give to those in need. In several instances she found the strength to carry on tasks that required more than her normal strength. I remember, very clearly, the day that one of hers was hanging upside down of a latter and she found the strength to lift him up to safe.

She was a healer. She healed many wounds that life and time had open; she helped the healing process to begin by just listening and shearing peoples burdens and making them light she followed her Savior and took His yoke upon here and here burdens were made light. Mom took the invitation of alma and was ‘willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that [she] may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—’ (Mosiah 18:8)

She was always in tune with the spirit and closer to the veil. She was a dreamer just like father Lehi, she was a visionary woman and the Lord knew He could count with mother to understand those visions and dreams. She knew they came from on high and she would act upon those directions even though she would not have been supported by anyone but her Father in heaven.

She was a giant all around!

I once heard that ‘Heroes are remember but legends never die’ to me my mom is a legend and I know that through the restored temple ordinances, just like in the days of all, I will meet my giant mother and be able to thank her, even though some how she knows already, for the instruction and preparation she endeavor to give each one of hers. I know that this is possible thanks to my Savior’s Atonement. I know that our Father in Heaven sent a special spirits, my parents, to show me His ways while on this earth. I Know my God lives because mother showed me, in my early years, the reality of Him.

As Nephi of old I can say: “I, Benjamin, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my [mother and] father” (1 Nephi 1:1)

So…the Giant has left her Legacy and all I can do is honor her by leaving the way her Heavenly Parents would want me to live and all I can say is that I LOVE YOU MOM and THANK YOU! Father and Mother in heaven, thank you for the opportunity I have had to be guided by you through Her while on this life. THANK YOU!

3 comments:

gumy said...

Benjamín me tomo el atrevimiento para dejarte un comentario sobre esto grandioso que has escrito sobre tu madre, yo tuve la bendición de conocerla y sólo puedo confirmar lo que has dicho de ella,era una persona que daba de sí a las demás personas, ella fue a despedirme y recibirme cuando regrese de la misión, estuvo en los momentos especiales de mi vida como una buena amiga y hermana, y muestra de ese amor son ustedes sus hijos que han seguido su ejemplo, que el Padre te bendiga siempre y te llene de las bendiciones que requieres en tu vida. Atentamente Yazmín Guevara

sdhepworth said...

Your mom sounds like an amazing person. :)

Ben Patron said...

She was an AMAZING woman, mother, wife and friend and for all of that I always say THANK YOU!