August 26, 2008

Thank goodness for communication!

So...why can't people be honest? As I think about this, I am reminded of a song I once heard. It says as follows:

When I was a child it was easier then to tell them strait out how I felt
"give me Corn flakes instead!", "Please don't send me to bed!",
"Can dad fix it so the snow man won't melt"
Now that i am older it's harder it seems,
I think we all have changed quite a bit
Lately I find when I speak my own mind
they get mad, or get shocked or look seek.
I wish I could talk to my family but
I don't know quite well where to start,
though my folks aren't so bad it’s just,
it’s kind of sad, we don't know how to talk heart to heart.

I find interesting/frustrating/entertaining/etc. that people cannot/don't want/refuses to communicate. I don't know what goes through people's mind, but sure would like to know! The interesting part about this is that ‘adults’ are the ones that are supposed to be teaching the younger generations lessons that will help them the rest of their lives but for some reason, one of the important lessons that needs to be taught isn’t even known by those who are supposed to be teaching it.

I think that our society is becoming more and more concerned about being politically correct that we are becoming a ‘politically incorrect’ society. I don’t think there is anything wrong with saying the truth or what is in our minds; I think this can be done without hurting anyone. I personally think that now speaking our minds (in most instances) causes more hurt than what it prevents.

If we are so concerned about not hurting people by being clear and honest, we should start thinking about how much more it hurts not doing so. In my personal experience I have found that I have gained more respect for those who have spoken the truth to me; regardless of the discomfort it might have caused.

No comments: